Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nice to meet you, Sexy Llama!


Hello to all of Elizabeth and Matt's loyal readers. Como esta? I'm happy to say that I've taken over the reigns from Whitney as Guest Blogger extraordinaire. Whit, I have got some mighty shoes to fill, but hopefully I won't disappoint.

We've reached the end of day 2 in Peru (technically, it's supposed to be end of day three for me, but I won't bore you with the monstrocity that was my trip here, resulting in an extra 24 hours on the road when I should have been bopping around Lima).

Even though we slept for a good portion of the day yesterday (we literally had all been traveling and pulling all nighters for 36 hours), we managed to do more than I expected! We're staying at a hostel that's up in the huge hills next to Cusco's main square, and the view is absolutely unreal (we'll be posting lots of pics soon). We were greeted by the hotel boss with a cup of cocotea as soon as we arrived (tea, made with the leaves used to make cocaine - what?! Sorry, mom). Don't worry friends, we made it out alive. When we eventually sauntered out of the hostel to bop around and have dinner, I discovered what I'd wanted to see since I booked my ticket to South America - a giant hillside Jesus! They watch over many towns in South America and it has literally been the highlight of my trip...

...that is, of course, until I held my first baby goat (yes, first....I'm assuming there will be many). Even though we've had to say "no, gracias" to nearly every person who approaches us selling artwork, massages, waxes, postcards and finger puppets, we of course said yes when a lady said we could hold her goat for 1 sole each. That's like 33 cents a piece! Sold. I almost put the goat in my pocket - that is, after I got over the fact that I was holding a goat that was nuzzling me like a newborn. And eating my hair. But we bonded and all is well. Elizabeth seemed way too comfortable holding a baby animal. Hmm...She was nuzzling hers like a newborn.

We spent the rest of the day arranging our next excursions at various tourist shops around town and did a LOT of shopping in the San Blas district, where there are literally dozens and dozens of tiny merchant shops with homemade goods. Mom & Dad - I got you both something for Mother's and Father's Day. Hopefully you will love. Matt is the best sport ever for putting up with our girly spending whims, but thankfully he found some goodies as well.

Before heading to what Matt read was the greatest empanada place in the city, Elizabeth and I got suckered into posing with two indigineous Peruvian women and they're pet llama. The llama was filthy, but we have another memory to put in our pockets. Though, our pockets are now less 10 soles after they charged us for doing so.

It was time for lunch and Matt read the reviews correctly - best empanadas in the city. Not that we have much to compare to, but it was delish. Elizabeth and I felt the need to round out our meals with a sprinkled donut and a chocolate covered croissant (respectively), but no one ever said we were predictable. And, washed it down with banana juice. mm.....

So lots more walking, lots more shopping, lots more "no, gracias" to everyone we saw. Lots more picketing and demonstrations from disgruntled Machu Piccu porters. And then, and THEN...we met the two cutest kids in the world who, while they were trying hard to sell us finger puppets, also taught us, "nice to meet you, machu piccu" and the art of getting in Elizabeth's personal space. Of course, the girl Elizabeth was talking to said, "nice to meet you, sexy llama." Nice. At this point, Matt was courteously lending an ear to the chattiest tourist/race car drive he'd ever met. Thanks for taking one for the team, M. Too bad the girls wouldn't pose for photos unless we paid them, but we got some good laughs out of it. And some friendship bracelets. POW!

So, I'm going to end the post tonight because it's hard to believe anyone is still reading but also because we are much filled up with some delicious Mongolian, Thai and Malaysian food and some yummy lemon, mango and cocotea ice cream for dessert. Now we're back in the room packing up for tomorrow's two day excursion to the hot springs at Agua Caliente and the wonders of Machu Piccu. Might not have access to internet, so check back in a few days for more updates and lots of goat-filled and friendship-bracelet laden photos!

Love,
Megan, ET and Matt

1 comment:

Mom Stank said...

Oh I love the description of Matt waiting for you gals to finish shopping! The first shopping memory I have with "the boys" is at a mall in Florida. I dragged them into Victoria's Secret. I believe it was Matt who said he wanted to leave because "It smells funny in here!" Every time they misbehaved that week, I threated another trip to V.S.! Kept the little darlings in line!