Friday, February 20, 2009

boo ya.


We did it. Well, I really had nothing to do with it. I took a nap and watched competitive Jenga (it's huge here, always on TV) while Matt fixed little lappy. So now we can surf the internets from the privacy of our very own room and it's free to boot.

We were a little nervous about Lima as it's reputation isn't great, but we have actually been pleasantly surprised and throughly enjoyed it. Like Matt mentioned, the place we are staying is great. We have eaten great food and seen some glorious sites. Last night we walked around the San Francisco Convent. It's reminiscent of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice. You think I am crazy, but it I'm not. There are tons of pigeons flying around and lots of Peruvians selling seeds that you can throw at them. They also one-upped St. Mark's by having a craft fair there. Not that we can afford to buy anything but they had tons of jewelry and hand-made Peruvian things. You know, Peruvian things.

Today, along with fixing the computer, we walked around Central Lima to the Plaza de Arms where the Cathedral, Municipalidad and the government palace are. We weren't sure if this is just how they roll here in Lima, or if it was a special occassion, but on the walk there we saw a pretty rockin' protest of sorts in full swing. I couldn't figure out what they actually wanted, but the crowd was continuously screaming "ahora, ahora" after everything. Which meant they wanted it now, now. I wanted Matt to take a picture so we could share it with you but after the comptuer fiasco we were really hoping not to get the camera stolen on top of it.

Once we got the the Plaza, there were about 100 military personnel. Maybe they guard the government buildings like that everyday, but that would be a sucky job because it was hotter than hades and they just stood there. They also had guns and giant shields. There were tourists who were going up to them and taking pictures with them standing behind the shields and I really wanted to do it but Matt suggested I not be that girl and so I didn't. I already have remorse though and next time we see them, I will certainly be that girl.

Tomorrow we are headed to Cuzco and planning on spending a day or two there until we can catch a train or bus to Lake Titicaca before heading to Bolivia. There will be much more to come on Peru, we are just saving much of the country to do when our good buddy Megan comes to visit in April. We know you will be on the edge of your seat waiting to hear about our attempt to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, see the Sacred Valley and try and get back to Ecuador sans 26 hour bus ride.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I love the blow by blow troubleshooting reports and think that being "that girl" is highly underrated. Go for it. Riot police=photo opportunity.

Mom Stank said...

Looking forward to seeing "that girl" photo. Go for it Elizabeth! What's the worst that can happen? I know I'd be the first one to jump next to the guard and totally embarrass Matty! Love you, kids!